In 1871, the Nashville and Edgefield Street Railroad Company began construction on a street railroad for the city. The street railroad had lines on Fatherland Street, Woodland Street, and Main Street and was completed the following year. The first…

Lockeland Elementary School, otherwise known as Lockeland Design Center, was once the site of Lockland Mansion, named for Jane Locke. The first Anglo-American settler at this site was Daniel Williams who obtained 640 acres as a Revolutionary War…

Originally built in 1850, a suspension bridge crossed the Cumberland River and connected Edgefield directly to downtown Nashville. In 1874, The Republican Banner printed an article about the bridge highlighting its importance to the town stating,…