East Nashville Magnet was built at the start of the New Deal in 1932 as part of a plan by Dr. Frank Bachman of George Peabody College. He recommended “three new white and one new black high schools” be built in the area. The striking art deco…

‘Fannie,’ whose full name is Mary Francis Battle, was born on a plantation in the Cane Ridge area in 1842. She was the daughter of Joel Allen and Adeline Sanders Mosely Battle, and served as a Confederate spy during the Union occupation of…

The first African-American public primary school in Nashville was built on this site (then 217 S. Summer St) in 1893. The Pearl School was named for the first superintendent of Nashville schools, Joshua F. Pearl. The new building was the pride of…