By 1919, the Edgefield/East Nashville suburb has grown large enough to justify Andrew Carnegie partially funding a public library here. In order to secure his funding, Carnegie libraries had to fit a formula of public support, an openness to provide…

The first African-American public primary school in Nashville was built on this site (then 217 S. Summer St) in 1893. The Pearl School was named for the first superintendent of Nashville schools, Joshua F. Pearl. The new building was the pride of…

Since 1947 the Ernest Tubb Record Shop has been a locally owned and operated music store in downtown Nashville. It was founded by Ernest Tubb, of Grand Ole Opry fame, and his partner Charles Mosley at 720 Commerce St. on May 3, 1947 and was renowned…

The structure that now houses ACME Feed & Seed was built in 1890 by local architect J.R. Whitmore who originally rented the building to brothers Frederic and William Cummins. They opened the space as a grocery store. In the following years, this…

In March 1920, Washington became the 35th state to pass the 19th amendment, which secured women the right to vote. Only one more state was needed to ratify the amendment. Four months later, Tennessee Governor Albert Roberts called special sessions…

In 1919, the Tennessee General Assembly passed the Tennessee Memorial Act, which established plans to build a memorial for veterans of the First World War that could also be used for state office space and public gatherings. Also in the plan were…

Market Square in Nashville was once the epicenter for downtown commerce. Before urban renewal in the 1970’s, all roads within the city limits radiated out from this point. In 1783, the first lodging house, the Nashville Inn, was built there and a…

Nashville’s First Baptist Church on this site, was the fourth church established and used by First Baptist Church of Nashville. The congregation that called this church home dated back to July 22, 1820. The congregation was formed by 35 members of…

The U.S. customs house first opened in 1882 and housed Nashville’s first post office. It was also home to the federal Justice and Treasury Departments. The building exemplifies Victorian Gothic style architecture and was designed by William…