The first African-American public primary school in Nashville was built on this site (then 217 S. Summer St) in 1893. The Pearl School was named for the first superintendent of Nashville schools, Joshua F. Pearl. The new building was the pride of…

The structure that now houses ACME Feed & Seed was built in 1890 by local architect J.R. Whitmore who originally rented the building to brothers Frederic and William Cummins. They opened the space as a grocery store. In the following years, this…

The Nashville Inn, built in 1783, was the first hotel in Nashville. It stood at the corner of 2nd Avenue and what is now Union Street. Considered one of the grandest hotels in the South, it hosted many historic figures such as one of Nashville’s…

Market Square in Nashville was once the epicenter for downtown commerce. Before urban renewal in the 1970’s, all roads within the city limits radiated out from this point. In 1783, the first lodging house, the Nashville Inn, was built there and a…

Nashville’s First Baptist Church on this site, was the fourth church established and used by First Baptist Church of Nashville. The congregation that called this church home dated back to July 22, 1820. The congregation was formed by 35 members of…

The U.S. customs house first opened in 1882 and housed Nashville’s first post office. It was also home to the federal Justice and Treasury Departments. The building exemplifies Victorian Gothic style architecture and was designed by William…

The Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Nashville sits at the corner of Broadway and Ninth Street, and is known as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the city. It represents the first established Protestant Episcopal church in Tennessee, and…

Union Station was the first major train station to be built in Nashville and served as one the first architecturally-distinctive landmarks of the city. With its high clock tower and neo-gothic design, Nashville saw the building as a great leap into…

Today, the Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum dominates the block that runs parallel to 5th Avenue, sharing its space with a bus station. However, during the 19th Century, this block had many more buildings, including the Commercial Hotel. The…