The Corinthian Lodge No. 8 resembles many other buildings that host meetings of the secretive fraternal society known as the Freemasons. Corinthian Lodge No. 8 was founded by the men of East Nashville in the 1870s. In the 1870s, members of Corinthian…

Hattie Cotton Elementary School was built in 1950 and found itself in the middle of the Civil Rights movement only a few years later. In 1957, in response to the Civil Rights Movement and the Supreme Court decision in Brown vs. the Board of…

On November 4, 1910, the Eastland Church of Christ was completely constructed in East Nashville in a matter of hours. The church, located at Sharpe Avenue and Gallatin Pike, was built under the supervision of one architect and involved over one…

Community Care Fellowship was founded in 1981 when Rev. James A. “Rock” Hardaway, the associate pastor of McKendree United Methodist Church, sought to bring together people to provide ministry outreach to the growing number of homeless people who…

The Ross Elementary School was erected in 1907 and was named for Marcus M. Ross. Ross was a teacher and principal for different Nashville city schools. Ross’ architecture is that of a typical elementary school building for the time in which it was…

April 16, 1998 saw one of the largest tornado outbreaks the city of Nashville has ever seen. At least thirteen tornadoes touched down throughout Middle Tennessee and a F3 rating tornado blew its way through Davidson County. In East Nashville, dozens…

Shortly after the Civil War, a former Confederate gun factory was converted into a school for the freed African-American population living in Nashville. By 1883, Meigs School, as it was originally known, became Nashville’s first African-American…

East Nashville needed a fire station that could sustain and support the local area. The smaller stations such as Inglewood and Madison were experiencing difficulty when facing larger threats. So, an illustration for a new fire hall on Gallatin Road…

Located on 617 Ben Allen Road in East Nashville, the building was originally designed by the Nashville architectural firm known as Asmus & Norman. The home was designed to offer refuge to Masonic widows and their children. The cost of construction of…

The Hobson family moved from Virginia to East Nashville in 1807 and established a home on a track of land which stretched from the Cumberland River to Gallatin Pike. The house stands on 814 Woodland Street. In his will, William Hobson left one-third…